If you have visited the ClassiPress Demo recently you may have noticed some color and pizazz that you hadn’t seen before. If you take a closer look you will see that…wait, there are icons for every category!
Wow, that’s great. But how are you going to get icons onto your ClassiPress site? Well, we are here to give you a small tutorial on how to add one icon to one category, giving you the knowledge that will allow you to create categories for ALL your icons!
Before attempting this tutorial, you should have already read and completed the “ClassiPress Child Theme Tutorial Part 1“. Assuming you have done this you will already have a folder for your child theme which leaves us right where we left off.
What we will Cover in Part 2
- Creating the functions.php file.
- Overwriting an existing function (the prices function in this tutorial).
- Creating your own new function in the function file.
- Use the child theme to modify the index-directory.php file so that our homepage is modded.
- Build a new dashboard template to show confirmation messages and activate it.
Step 1: Creating the functions.php file
Navigate to the child theme folder you previously created. Now we need to create a new file in it. You can do this a variety of ways, but we are going to use a technique that is the most “universal”.