Google recently announced that they would start charging for the use of Google Maps. Full details can be found at the Google Geo Developers blog.
The following is an excerpt from the Google Maps API FAQ page:
- up to 25,000 map loads per day for each API
- up to 2,500 map loads per day that have been modified using the Styled Maps feature
If your application exceeds these usage limits you must respond in one of the following ways in order to continue using the Maps API in your application:
- Modify your Maps API application such that the number of map loads generated per day is below the usage limit for each API that your application uses;
- Enroll for automated billing of excess map loads; or
- Purchase a Maps API Premier license
Non-profits and applications deemed in the public interest (as determined by Google at its discretion) are not subject to these usage limits.
25,000 map loads per day is a pretty high number. We don’t think this news from Google will have an impact our customers, but we want to be sure. Tell us, do you think the new Google Map API limits will affect your ClassiPress or JobRoller site? Are you getting in excess of 25,000 map loads per day?